Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana – Eligibility, Application Form, Objectives, Procedure for Applying Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana . In rural India still there is a larger section of the household using conventional sources of fuel for cooking. Some of them are dried cow dung and firewood. Due to the smoke generated during the cooking the health of the people in these areas is damaged very rapidly. There has been a survey saying “more than 5 lakhs people die each year” as a result of the ill smoke released during cooking.
The best solution to resolve this problem is replacing the traditional sources of fuel for cooking with safer, clean and efficient alternatives. Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) can be chosen as best alternative for this. But the cost of LPG is so high that the people living with very meager earning cannot afford.
The government of India has come up with an initiative called “Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana” to enable these poor families living below poverty line use the LPG. Under this scheme govt supplies LPG to the BPL families having woman as beneficiary. Following are the important features of this scheme.
Objectives of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana:
- Reduce the usage of fossil fuels for cooking, thereby preventing the rural women and their family members from dangerous ill health.
- Controlling the air pollution in household and the environment.
- Helping the rural women to empower themselves
- In long run it will result in deforestation
Eligibility of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana:
- First of all, the family should belong to “Below poverty line (BPL)” category.
- Only a woman of above 18 years can apply
- She must have a bank account in any nationalized bank. Amount of subsidy from the government is transferred to these accounts directly.
- No other member in the applicant’s family must be an existing LPG subscriber.
Mandatory documents required to apply:
- BPL Ration card of the applicant’s family
- A BPL certificate issued by the Panchayat or Municipality.
- Photo identification of the applicant
- One pass port size photograph of the applicant.
How the beneficiary families are selected?
- Central government in consultation with the state governments and union territories will select the beneficiaries. Not all the BPL families can get the benefit under this scheme.
- Among the BPL families based on the economic condition beneficiaries will be prioritized. For example, families belonging to SC/ST would be the first to receive the benefit.
- Among the states based on the existing density of the LPG distribution Central government will allocate the cylinders to be provided to each state. Thus states having lower LPG coverage will be more benefited by this scheme.
How to apply for Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana?
- Application form to apply for the subsidy is available with all LPG distributors all over the country.
- Those seeking subsidy have to fill the mandatory details in the form and along with the mandatory documents the same has to be submitted to the LPG distributor.
- Following is the Application form. The same can be downloaded here …………………………..
- Government will provide the Easy monthly installments for paying off the cost of stove and refill
- An amount of Rs 1600 for each LPG connection will be directly routed to the account of beneficiary
Government has a budgeted amount of Rs 8000 crores to spend under this scheme spreading over the coming 3 years. It was decided to provide the connection to the extent of 5 crore eligible beneficiaries. PM’s initiative to give up the LPG subsidy has got a massive response of over 1 crore connections being given up. The amount saved by this is going to the poor lives of the country.