Debt Ratio – Debt service coverage Ratio – Complete discussion, Here we are providing complete details for Debt Ratio like Meaning or Definition of Debt Ratio, Formula of Debt Ratio, Importance of Debt Ratio, Limitation of Debt Ratio and we also provide complete details for Debt service coverage Ratio like Meaning or Definition of Debt service coverage Ratio, Formula of Debt service coverage Ratio, Importance of Debt service coverage Ratio. Now you can scroll down below and check Complete details for Debt Ratio – Debt service coverage Ratio – Complete discussion.
If you like this article then please like us on Facebook so that you can get our updates in future ……….and subscribe to our mailing list ” freely “
- Accounting Standard – 10 Accounting for Fixed Assets
- Accounting Standard 16 – Accounting for Borrowing Costs
- Accounting Standard 15: Accounting for Retirement Benefits
Debt Ratio – Debt service coverage Ratio – Complete discussion
Debt Ratio is one of the financial ratios which compares an entity’s total amount of debt to its total amount of assets,which is used to gain a general idea as to the amount of leverage being used by a entity.
Debt Ratio = Total amount of Debt / Total amount of assets.
If the Debt Ratio of a company is low when compared to the industry average , it means that the company is less dependent on leverage, which indicates that the money borrowed from and owed to others. The lower the percentage, the less leverage a company is using and the stronger its equity position. When a company has a higher Debt Ratio then it means the company is on high risk position to manage on. However, a low debt ratio may also indicates that the company has an opportunity to use leverage to gain the advantage associated with it.
Debt Ratio is not a pure measure of an entity’s indebtedness. Because it also considers operational liabilities, such as accounts payable and taxes payable while arriving at Debt Ratio.
Debt – Service Coverage Ratio
Debt service coverage ratio is a financial ratio which indicates a company’s ability to generate the cash flow through its operations to meet the annual interest and principal payments on debt, including sinking fund payments ,with respect to its net operating revenue.
Debt service coverage ratio is calculated by dividing a company’s total net operating revenue during the respective financial year by its total required payments on outstanding debts in the same period.
Debt service coverage ratio = Net operating income / Total Debt service costs.
Debt service costs include interest payments, principle payments, and other obligations
1. When the Debt service coverage ratio is higher then it’s a sign of good financial health of the company .In other words, the company is able to produce enough amount revenues from its operations to meet its debt servicing costs.
2. A ratio of less than one means that the company is unable generate enough operating profits to pay its debt service and must use some of its savings and reserved incomes.
3. While deciding whether to lend some amount to any company or individual business entity then a financial institution will generally have various parameters to determine a borrower’s ability to meet the debt.And this debt service coverage ratio is one of such parameters.
Recommended Read –