How to reply Non Filing of Income Tax Return Notice. Did you receive a notice from Income tax, here is the solution. When any one receives notice from Income Tax department, panic sets in. However, such notices are just an intimation or request for further information in most of the cases.So these notices are to be replied with the required information.This article will explain how to reply to Notice for Non Filing of Income Tax Return. Now check more details about “How to reply Non Filing of Income Tax Return Notice” from below…..
How to reply Non Filing of Income Tax Return Notice
Why this Notice is Issued?
Where the assessee has failed to file the return of income even if,
- His cash deposits are 10 lakh or more in any savings account.
- His credit card purchases are 2 lakh or more.
- His mutual fund investments are 2 lakh or more.
- He has purchased bonds or debentures 5 lakh or more.
- He has sold or bought immovable property of 30 lakh or more.
- He has invested Rs 5 lakhs or more in RBI bonds.
Failure to file return of income in any of the above cases, leads to issuance of notice for Non Filing of return.This all information is required to be reported as per AIR (Annual Information Return) mandates. If any assessee misses out on reporting the same , Income Tax department can easily track them down.the department has implemented NMS (Non Filers Monitoring system).This system tracks down the non filers on the basis of integrated data from AIR information, CIB (Central Information Branch) and TDS /TCS returns.
What to do when you receive the notice?
Don’t panic and check out why this notice is issued to you. We will guide stepwise for all combinations and cases
- First of all, you need to login to – Incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- After that, go to ‘Compliance’ tab and go to ‘Select Information summary’. The reason for which you are receiving the notice will be mentioned under this tab. This tab will show the year for which return is not filed.
- There are two situations
Where you have already filed a return.
In this case , you are required to update the following details.
- Mode of filing (online or manual).
- Date of filing return.
- Acknowledgement number of return filed.
- Circle or ward number where the return is filed.
- City where the return is filled in case of manual filing of return.
Where you have not filed return for a particular assessment year
This scenario will require updation of reason for non filing of returns.The reasons as listed on website are as follows.
- Return under preparation
- Winding up of business
- No taxable income
- Any other reason – here the reason has to be specified.
Under this option, you are further required to choose appropriate items from those listed below. These options are available under the tab ‘related Information Summary’.
- Self Investment / expenditure is from
- Exempt Income.
- Accumulated Savings.
- Gifts or loan from others.
- Foreign Income.
- Self Income is exempt under tax laws.
- Self Income is below tax threshold.
- Self Income pertains to another year.
- Not known or other PAN or I need more information.
Even though, the assessee can easily reply to Notice for return filing through self explanatory guidance provided by the website. However, it is better to take help of Tax Professional or Chartered Accountant. This is because, the department will ask for more information or raise scrutiny assessment, on the basis of this reply.
- List of Taxes which Common Man pay in India
- Section 44AD – Tax on Presumptive Basis – Complete Details
- Section 44AD: Income of Business 8% – Latest Updates
- Submission of PAN Details of Landlord – Is compulsory
- Knowing the Sources of the Income Tax
- TDS Rate Chart For FY 2015-16 & AY 2016-17
- Deemed Dividend – Section 2(22)(e) – Complete Details
If you have any query regarding “How to reply Non Filing of Income Tax Return Notice” then please post your query via below comment box…..