Merchant Banking – Functions – Classification, Merchant Banking Meaning – Functions of Merchant Banking, Merchant Bank Definition, What is merchant bank? definition and meaning. Hi Friends in this article you can find completed details regarding Merchant Banking Like – Merchant Banking in India, Functions of Merchant Banks, Who can Provide Merchant banking services in India, Classification of Merchant Banks etc. Recently we provide complete details for Corporate Credit Worthiness And Credit Rating. Now you can scroll down below and check more details for “Merchant Banking – Functions – Classification”
If you like this article then please like us on Facebook so that you can get our updates in future ……….and subscribe to our mailing list ” freely “
Merchant Banking – Functions – Classification
Merchant Banking :
Merchant banking means the activity of rendering a number of services including Management of securities, Portfolio management, Underwriting and Insurance, Financial advice and project counseling etc. Large brokers, Mutual Funds, Venture capital companies and Investment Banks offer Merchant Banking services.
The term merchant banking has been used differently in different countries. In UK merchant banking is termed as accepting and issuing house and in the USA it is known as investment banking.The merchant banks mainly offer financial services for a fee.
Merchant Banking in India :
Even though the State Bank of India is the first institution to set up a separate division for merchant Banking services in 1972, merchant banking services were started in 1967 by National Grindlays Bank followed by Citi Bank in 1970.
The main difference between merchant banking and commercial banking is , commercial banking involves accepting deposits and granting loans and advances whereas merchant banking involves rendering of the services for a fee.
Functions of Merchant banks :
(1) Underwriting of shares and debentures
(2) Management of Public issues
(3) Portfolio management
(4) Credit syndication which involves all the steps of applying for a loan.
(5) Corporate Advisory services.
(6) Management of off shore funds.
(7) Leasing and financing
(8) Foreign collaborations and foreign currency management.
(9)Investment services for non resident Indians.
(10) Counselling small scale business organizations
(11) Project finance and project promotion services.
(12) Treasury management services
(13) Disbursement of dividends.
Must Read – Types of Different Bank Deposits in India
In India Merchant banking services are provided by
(1) Commercial Banks
(2) Financial Institutions
(3) Private consultancy firms.
Classification of Merchant Banks :
In India Every organization providing merchant Banking services should register with SEBI. On the basis of the Capital Adequacy and operational activities SEBI has classified the merchant bankers into following types :
|Category||Minimum Net Worth for Capital Adequacy||Activities Permitted by SEBI|
|Category – I||Rs. 5 Crore||Issue Manager, Advisor, Consultant, Underwriter and Portfolio Manager|
|Category – II||Rs. 50 Lakhs||Advisor, Consultant, Underwriter and Portfolio Manager|
|Category – III||Rs. 20 Lakhs||Advisor, Consultant, Underwriter|
|Category – IV||-NIL||Advisor and Consultant Service Only|
- What is pledge? – Complete details
- Hypothecation – Definition / Meaning with Example
- What is Inflation? – Meaning, Types, Control Inflation
- Non banking financial companies (NBFC)- Complete details
- Minor Bank Account – Complete Details